Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Tagged By "Bowramp"...Port-O-Call Summary

The crusty old squid at Bowramp http://www.bowramp.blogspot.com/ tagged me to answer some port call questions. My experience comes from floating on the USS Midway in the summers and falls of 1981 and 1983. I'll include bingo/divert destinations associated with my tours.

Number of ports visited...about 20...bingo/diverts add 5.

Most recent was Subic Bay, for 26 days trying to get a dead Phantom out of there...darn it took a long time to get out of there.

Port (Divert) I never want to visit again Tsuiki, Japan...Miso soup for breakfast...nuff said.

Top three most memorable...in order:
Subic Bay, single night for munitions...the fastest 14 hours of my life. Half of our aircrew did not make it out of the rack the entire next day.
Pusan, Korea...first night libo in Service Alphas (greens)...lost most of my short term memory, all my money, and one of my socks.
Divert to Taegu, Korea on Novemeber 10, 1981. Det CO dives out of Women's barracks window, pilot attempts to steal APC, me and the other WSO start up a 6-By...ooops right in front of MP HQ. Happy Birthday Marines.

Duty done...thanks brought a smile to my face.

1 comment:

David said...

Ahh... Subic. [Smiles and nods.]

Site Visits
Blog Roll